Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Bird Box by Josh Malerman + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting my first read for Monstrous March, Bird Box by Josh Malerman.  I've had this one on my radar for ages, but after hearing all the hype surrounding it and the new Netflix  movie I decided to finally see what it's all about for myself.  

Beginning:

Malorie stands in the kitchen thinking.

56:

"Do not remove your folds!" Malorie screams again.  She is paddling past the boat now.  "Do you two understand me? Answer me."

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Read Of February



Worst - A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell - The movie adaptation with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively was such a pleasant surprise, but I DNF'd the book at 20%.  My recommendation: skip the book, watch the movie instead.





Best - Trail of Lighting (The Sixth World #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse & Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner - It's a tie this month with these two novels - both of these have quickly become all time favorites and I can't read to read more from both Roanhorse and Zentner in the future.


Comments

  1. I have heard so much about Bird Box: book and the movie. It is on TBR but I still did not pick it up. Hope it is going to be a thrilling read!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed - liking it so far! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Julie.

      Delete
  2. I need to read Bird Box at some point, I'm very curious to hear how it works for you😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like horror movies, but I have never read a horror book. (Unless RL Stine counts, I read those books a lot through grade and middle school). I might pick up the book for Bird Box.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was absolutely hooked on R.L. Stine when I was a kid too. :D

      Delete
  4. Now I must read this one. I loved the Netflix movie. Here's mine: “THE NEXT TO DIE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I hope you enjoy the book and thanks for sharing your post with me.

      Delete
  5. Saw the film on Netflix but haven't watched it. I guess it doesn't appeal to me much. The same could be said for the book I suppose. Hope you enjoy it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well. Thanks Freda and have a great weekend yourself. :)

      Delete
  6. It's rare when the movie beats the book! Now I gotta see this movie!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds too creepy for me as a book and as a movie. I also read Trail of Lightning recently. This week I am reading Cast in Oblivion by Michelle Sagara. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed Roanhorse as much as I did. Thanks for sharing, Kathy!

      Delete
  8. Oooh! I can't wait to see what you think of Bird Box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my fingers crossed that I love both the novel and the movie. :)

      Delete
  9. I haven't read The Bird Box, but I saw the movie and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read The Bird Box. And good tip about A Simple Favor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to read Bird Box. Hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trail of Lightning is in one of my book piles, so it's good to know you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That 56 is intense, and having watched the Netflix version I can almost imagine the scene. :) Also I need to get trail of Lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not my kind of book or movie, but I've heard good things. I'm interested in how the book compares to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read the book Bird Box, but I liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay does it make me an awful blogger that I didn't realize A Simple Favor was a book?? It seems like that's happening a lot lately so I really need to get my life together! That's good to know, though, that the movie was better because honestly it seems like the kind of book I would love, judging by the movie previews, but you and I seem to have very similar tastes so I think I'll skip the book and head straight for the movie! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early