Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Ladies of Horror Fiction Readathon - Mini Reviews & Wrap Up


Happy Sunday everyone!  Today I'm sharing my wrap up and mini reviews for February's Ladies of Horror Fiction Readathon hosted by Ladies of Horror Fiction and Alex @ Hey Little Thrifter for February's Women in Horror Month.  You can check out my original tbr post here.  My goal was to complete five reading challenges all involving horror written by women: 1) By an indie author, 2) By an author of color, 3) By an LGBTQ+ author, 4) A book published before you were born, and 5) Something short (short story, novella, graphic novel, poem).  I managed to complete the challenges for an author of color, a book published before I was born, and something short.  I received all of books through my library's interlibrary loan program (unfortunately, my selections for an indie author and LGBTQ+ author never arrived in time for the challenge).  Please read on to see my thoughts on the three novels completed for this readathon.



By an author of color


❋ ❋  

Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson was awesome and so much fun to read! I should have read this at Halloween because it would have been perfect for the season. I was absolutely hooked and I didn't want to put it down. The characters themselves are the real standout although they're all quite flawed and not always likeable. I couldn't get enough of the friendships, pop culture references (the cat is named Binx!), and dark sense of humor. If you like Heathers, The Craft, Practical Magic, and Veronica Mars, I have a feeling you'll enjoy Undead Girl Gang as well. I need to read more from Lily Anderson in the future.


I read this novel from February 13 - 14, 2019 and my review is also on Goodreads.


A book published before you were born


❋ ❋  

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson was first published in 1962 and I've had it on my tbr practically forever. I'm glad I've finally decided to try this horror story. I can now officially say I understand why it's considered a classic. It's incredibly haunting and complex, even though it's as short as it is. It's practically dripping with atmosphere, quite grim, but it also has a dark sense of humor which I certainly appreciated. I'm going to need to read more from Shirley Jackson in the future.

I read this book from February 1 - 2, 2019 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Something short (short story, novella, graphic novel, poem)


❋ ❋  

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll is a fabulously creepy graphic collection of short stories. All five of the stories are great, but my favorite two are A Lady's Hands are Cold and His Face All Red. There's so much more I would love to know about both of these stories. I'd love full length versions of both of them - I need to know more.  Plus, I need to read more from this author in the future.

I read this collection on February 7, 2019 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  Did you take part in this awesome readathon and challenge?  What did you read to celebrate Women in Horror Month?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I love Anderson. Her humor and wit totally works for me. I love all the movies/shows you mentioned too. Glad to hear it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Sam. I need more from her. :)

      Delete
  2. I have the audio of Undead Girl Gang but haven't gotten to it yet, I definitely need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would be brilliant on audio. Happy listening, Amber!

      Delete
  3. I loved Through the Woods, and I actually met the author at Comic Con several years ago and got a signed copy😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. These three books are still on my TBR! I hope to get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved THROUGH THE WOODS. It was very popular in my library the year it was published. Some students can't seem to get enough of the horror novels.

    Hey, I'd like to invite you to join me on my new reading challenge to read books from your own shelves. Check out the details: 'My Own Books' Reading Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read We Have Always Lived in Castle few years ago and I loved it so much, I still think about it sometime.
    Good job reading three books! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early