Skip to main content

2023 End of Year Book Survey

Happy Thursday everyone and welcome to the 2023 End of Year Book Survey, originally hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner!  This is actually my 9th time taking part - check out my posts from 2015201620172018201920202021, and 2022, if you dare.  Anyway, without further ado, let's get to the tag:

2023 Reading Stats

Number Of Books You Read: 489 - Crazy!

Number of Re-Reads:  3, I think?

Genre You Read The Most From:  Fantasy, as usual.

1. Best Book You Read In 2023? 

The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi (Amina al-Sirafi #1) by Shannon Chakraborty - I've read a lot of amazing books this year, but this one might just take the cake.  If you haven't read this one yet, I highly recommend it, especially on audiobook. The production is marvelous and the narrators do a great job.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn't

For You and Only You (You #4) by Caroline Kepnes - I really used to love this mystery thriller series, but this one was just underwhelming and way too long.  It's just not for me anymore.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?

Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard by Tom Felton - I was looking forward to this, but I was still pleasantly surprised by just how much I ended up loving this memoir.  Also, I highly recommend listening to the audiobook as Tom Felton narrates it himself.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

Murder Among Friends: How Leopold and Loeb Tried to Commit the Perfect Crime by Candace Fleming - True crime is quite popular at my library so of course I talked this up as much as I could.

5. Best series you started in 2023? Best Sequel of 2023? Best Series Ender of 2023?

Opener - To Shape a Dragon's Breathe (Nampeshiweisit #1) by Moniquill Blackgoose - I had no particular expectations going into this YA historical fantasy, but it was absolutely stunning.  If you're looking for a dragon book, this is it!

Sequel - Super Powereds: Year 3 (Super Powereds #3) by Drew Hayes - This author is one of my favorites and I feel like I don't mention that enough.  If you're looking for an engrossing superhero series, you can't go wrong with this.  I highly recommend this series on audiobook.

Ender - Etched in Bone (The Others #5) by Anne Bishop - This whole series has been fantastic and it ended so well.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2023?

Tatsuya Endo - I got hooked on a few new to me manga series in 2023 and one of them was Spy x Family by Tatsuya Endo.  It's been so much fun and I really love the characters.  I've even started watching the anime tv series!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

Half American: The Epic Story of African Americans Fighting World War II at Home and Abroad by Matthew F. Delmont - I don't read a lot of nonfiction, but this is an absolute must-read if you're at all interested in American history, WWII, and African American history

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/ unputdownable book of the year?

The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher - With the world-building, characters, and atmosphere, I couldn't put this one down!


9. Book You Read In 2023 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

All Things Wise and Wonderful (All Creatures Great and Small #5-6) by James Herriot - This whole series honestly.  Plus, with season 4 of the new tv adaptation coming on PBS very soon, I wouldn't mind it.  By the way, the new audiobook editions are narrated by Nicholas Ralph, the actor who plays James in the show.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2023?

Starter Villain by John Scalzi - Just look at that sophisticated kitty!

11. Most memorable character of 2023?

Tatsu from The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 10 by Kousuke Oono - This series is so much fun and it's hilarious too. Basically, Tatsu is a former yakuza enforcer who has given that up that life to be a househusband to his wife and he brings the same level of gangster professionalism and craziness to his everyday household tasks.  I can't wait to read the next volume.  The anime is also a lot of fun.  I don't say this often, but I think I prefer the English dub on this show.  The actor that plays English language Tatsu has a great voice for it.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2023?

The Fragile Threads of Power (Threads of Power #1) by V.E. Schwab - I was really nervous about this, but I shouldn't have been because it was outstanding to be back with these characters.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2023?

Women, Race, & Class by Angela Y. Davis - This was originally published in 1981, but it's still just as relevant as ever.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2023 to finally read?

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy #1) by Robin Hobb - I should have read this ages ago, but I'm glad I finally started this series 

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2023?

The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher - I didn't save a whole lot of quotes, but I really liked this one as it sums up Simon and Kara so well. Here it is:

“Heads for aliens, tails for black magic."

"Why does it have to be black magic? Can't it be neutral magic? Magic with no significant moral imperative?"

Simon rolled his eyes, caught the coin in midair, and slapped it on his wrist.

"Good news, it's aliens.”

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2023?

Shortest - The Cowboy Kitten by Dorothy Kunhardt - 16 pages - When this says it's a Tiny Golden Book, they aren't kidding! I just happened to spot this as a little Christmas ornament.  I didn't realize at first that it actually was a real little book until I looked a bit closer and the original story was published in 1949.  There's not a lot to it, but it sure is cute.  Before this, I never expected to see a kitten as a cowboy before - maybe a spy or an assassin though!

Longest - Super Powereds: Year 3 (Super Powereds #3) by Drew Hayes - I listened to this on audiobook and it was just over 41 hours.  In print, that's 1,104 pages!

17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)

How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix - This whole book really!  If you haven't read this yet, I'd say it's this author's best so far.


18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) (OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)

Alucard and Rhy from The Fragile Threads of Power (Threads of Power #1) by V.E. Schwab - I loved these two in their previous appearances, but even more so now.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Edgin and Holga from Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: The Road to Neverwinter by Jaleigh Johnson - This novel is a prequel to the movie and it's so much fun.  Edgin and Holga (played by Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez in the movie) make a great team.  Simon and Forge also appear in this novel and they all work well together as a whole.  If you liked the movie, you absolutely have to try this.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2023 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White - I'm so glad I decided to read this Frankenstein retelling because it's everything I could have asked for.

21. Best Book You Read In 2023 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:

The Six: The Untold Story of America's First Women Astronauts by Loren Grush - Since I work at a library, I get a lot of book recommendations.  I'm glad I decided to take this one up because it's a great history book.  It's a must read if you liked Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly and The Mercury 13 by Martha Ackmann.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2023?

I don't have one.

23. Best 2023 debut you read?

She Is A Haunting by Trang Thanh Tran - If you're looking for a slow burn YA haunted house ghost story, you can't miss this.  I'm really looking forward to whatever this author writes next.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi (Amina al-Sirafi #1) by Shannon Chakraborty - This was just outstanding all the way around, but especially the world-building. 

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree - This was just delightful!

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2023?

The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True Life and Death Story of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps by Heinz Heger - I cried several times at this history book.  It's a tough read, but this lesser known part of history can't be forgotten.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Before the Devil Knows You're Here by Autumn Krause - I had no idea what to expect from this folk horror novel featuring Johnny Appleseed, but it was everything I never knew I needed.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

Courage to Dream: Tales of Hope in the Holocaust by Neal Shusterman, illustrated by Andres Vera Martinez - This YA graphic novel is soul crushing in terms of the real life Holocaust stories, but it is also quite hopeful in the way that it mixes fantastical and folklore elements into them.  It is absolutely worth reading.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2023?

Episode Thirteen by Craig DiLouie - If you're looking for a found footage/ epistolary horror novel, you'll have to try this especially on audiobook.  The production and style are so unique.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Youngblood by Sasha Laurens - This one was so irritating that I only made it to page 50! And it sounded so promising... 


1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2023?

I just happened to find Lisa does Life on YouTube in 2023.  I hope she'll do another round of Marvelathon in the future because last March was a lot of fun.

2. Favorite post you wrote in 2023?



3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2023?

This isn't my best bookish photo, but it's my favorite! I bought a copy of the AA Book of New Zealand Historic Places (1984) at a used book store back in May and found a surprise between pages 102-3: a British Columbian lottery ticket from June 3rd 1987! I put it back where I found it so the people I pass it on to will have a little surprise too.  I originally posted about this on Twitter which you can see here.  Even cooler, the New Zealand Automobile Association (AA) Twitter account actually responded to me!

4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?

I especially enjoyed participating in Marvelathon (Team New Gen for Moon Knight!), Wyrd & Wonder, and Sci-Fi Month in 2023 and hope to do so again if possible this year as well!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2023?

I'm not sure about best off the top of my head, but it was pretty cool to get a review request from the publisher via Reedsy Discovery to review Watson's Wives and Other Tales of Sherlock Holmes by Thomas A. Turley

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

Probably about the same as usual - finding the time to do all this!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters From Different TV Shows Who Should Team Up - This was one of my most popular of the year and it was probably one of my favorites to put together too!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I definitely wish my Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 2023 got a little more love.  I do love putting together these lists.

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

I found a fun little Children's bookstore near me earlier this year.  I thought it went out of business, but it turned out it just moved to a new location across the street.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?




1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2023 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2024?

Hearstopper: Volume Five (Heartstopper #5) by Alice Oseman - I'm currently on hold for this at the library and I can't wait until it comes in.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2024 (non-debut)?

Somewhere Beyond the Sea (The House in the Cerulean Sea #2) by T.J. Klune - I'm so happy that we'll get to see Linus, Arthur, and everyone again!  I'm counting down the days until September 10th, 2024!

3. 2024 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Dead Things Are Closer Than They Appear by Robin Wasley - This is being compared to The Raven Boys, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and The Rest of Us Just Live Here.  It sounds like it's going to be awesome!  It will be released on February 13th, 2024.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2024?

The Summer Queen (The Buried and the Bound #2) by Rochelle Hassan - The first book in this series was outstanding and I can't recommend it enough, especially on audiobook. My expectations are very high for this sequel!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2023?

Find the time to keep up on my reading and my blog, plus everything else.  So same as usual!

6. A 2024 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):

Virtual Rebel: Time To Play The Game For Real by J.Z. Pitts - I got an ARC via Reedsy Discovery and it was a really cool sci-fi novel great for fans of Ready Player One or Armada both by Ernest Cline, Warcross by Marie Lu, and maybe even The Matrix.


Have you taken the 2023 End of Year Survey?  What books have you loved this year and what are you looking forward to in the coming year?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I just saw Amina as someone else's favorite of the year too, soit must be fabulous! The Hollow Places is one I ant to read. And yay for Robin Hobb! I loved that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 489 books, how is that even possible? You are a super reader! I posted my survey today too, I haven't done it in quite a while, but its fun to put together. I'm happy to see The Adventures of Amina in the top spot, I hope to read it this year😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read quite a few graphic novels and manga and that stacks up real quick. :)

      Delete
  3. I just... 489 books!?!? HOW? Teach me your ways! That is incredible, congrats! I also really want to read Dead Things-- I just don't know if I should request it since it is out in February and that leaves me such little time! I DEFINITELY want to read Episode Thirteen, Courage to Dream, and The Hollow Places, so I am very glad to see them on your "best of" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and listening to audiobooks when doing just about anything else definitely stacks up along with the graphic novels and manga. 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US