Skip to main content

Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 2024

Happy Saturday everyone!  Today, I'm sharing my Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 2024!  You can check out my 2021, 2022, and 2023 list, if you feel so inclined.  If anyone would like to link up with me and share their Mid-Year Movie Freak Out, I'd love to see your answers to the questions.  By the way, the titles are linked to my Letterboxd review or their Letterboxd page.  Without further ado, here we go:

1. Best movie you've watched so far in 2024.

Oppenheimer (2023) - I can officially say I understand why it was nominated for so many awards. Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr were absolutely brilliant in this.

2. Best sequel you've watched so far in 2024.

Dune: Part Two (2024) - I was really surprised that I definitely preferred this to the first film.  Rebecca Ferguson's performance as Lady Jessica is the real standout.

3. New release you haven't seen yet, but want to.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) - I missed this one at the theater and I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's released on dvd.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.

Trap (2024) - I'm really excited for this one guys!  It's not long until August 2nd now!

5. Biggest disappointment.

First Knight (1995) - I have a soft spot for Arthurian stories, but this just wasn't it at all.  I should rewatch BBC Merlin to recover from this one.  

6. Biggest surprise.

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024) - I'm really surprised to say that I think I preferred this to the original movies which I also really enjoyed.  Both Lupita Nyong'o and Joseph Quinn were great in this, but Frodo the cat as played by Schnitzel and Nico was the real standout.  I wouldn't mind seeing Nyong'o and Quinn act together again in the future.

7. Favorite new actors or director.

Dev Patel - I was very impressed by Monkey Man (2024) with him both behind and in front of the camera.

8. Newest favorite character.

Mr. Jordan - Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) was delightful and Mr. Jordan (portrayed by Claude Rains) is a true professional.  If you're a fan of A Matter of Life and Death, you might want to try this as well.

9. Movie that made you cry.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013) - I cried like a baby at that ending.  The soundtrack for that particular scene is probably the happiest tune of the entire movie and that made it all the harder!

10. Movie that made you happy.



Pride (2014) - I had no expectations for this movie at all, but it was delightful and may be a comfort watch in the future.  If you haven't seen this, I can't recommend it enough.

11. Best book to film adaptation?


Movie: The Long Goodbye (1973) - Elliott Gould is hands down my favorite onscreen Philip Marlowe.  I didn't know if the 1970s setting would work, but it totally did.

12. Best book to tv adaptation?

TV: Dead Boy Detectives - This is easily an all time favorite tv show and adaptation.  I hope it will be renewed for a second season.  If you haven't checked out this spinoff of The Sandman, you will have to give it a try.

13. Movie the made you laugh.

The Fall Guy (2024) - This was just so much fun and really funny.  If you like movies about movie making, you can't skip this.

14Movie that scared you.

Dead of Night (1945) - That was exactly the kind atmospheric horror anthology I needed.  So creepy!

15. Best 2024 release so far?

Monkey Man (2024) - This was brilliant and I'm glad I had the chance to see this at the movie theater.  The action and editing are fantastic with a great soundtrack, but best of all it has a heart.  I can't wait to see what Dev Patel does next.

16. Best Hidden Gem 

All That Money Can Buy (1941) - I hadn't heard of this at all (it also goes by the title The Devil and Daniel Webster), but I'm so glad I watched this because it was so cool.  If you're at all interested in Faustian stories, you'll have to check out this classic.  Walter Huston is the real standout as Mr. Scratch, aka the Devil.


And that's a wrap for my Mid-Year Movie Freak Out 2023!  If you'd like to play along, share your link with me so I can see your responses!  Have you seen any of these?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. There are a bunch on your list I want to see, especially Oppenheimer and Monkey Man😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Things I Love About The Enola Holmes Series