Skip to main content

Pride Month 2024 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 

Happy Saturday everyone!  In honor of Pride Month in June, I celebrated by reading LGBTQIAP books on my TBR.  If you like, you can check out my original TBR post here.  I managed to complete all of the books on my original tbr except one and had a pretty great reading experience.  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the books I read for Pride Month:

 
I wanted to absolutely love The Absinthe Underground by Jamie Pacton, but unfortunately I ended up preferring the idea of more than anything. My main issue throughout were both Sybil and Esme. They grated on my nerves to no end, but then again maybe I'm just too old. I also wasn't a fan of how the confrontation went down at the ending - seemed like a bit of a cop out. I also was expecting more in terms of the magic system. Maybe the novel being compared to Holly Black's stories worked against me. Finally, something that took me out of the story were the references within it to the real life artists Alphonse Mucha and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. I know this story is inspired by Belle Epoque Paris and the posters that appear (and cover of the novel itself) are inspired by their works, but naming them directly in the fantasy city of Severon didn't work for me. That said, after all of them at I would still like to try more from Jamie Pacton in the future as I did like her style.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
I appreciate that Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out by Susan Kuklin was put together from real interviews. Honestly, I would like to see a newer updated edition of this though.  Either way though this is still quite timely.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
The Coldest Touch by Isabel Sterling was a cool YA fantasy standalone, but I really wish we could revisit this world set a few years in the future.  I've really enjoyed everything I've read from Isabel Sterling so far and this was a good new story.  I especially appreciated getting to both Elise and Claire so well through their alternating perspectives.  Their relationship is developed slowly, but I quite appreciated that given their roles.  I'm looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
I really like the idea of Heaven Official's Blessing: Tian Guan Ci Fu, Vol. 1 (Heaven Official's Blessing: Tian Guan Ci Fu #1) by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the main story line but I was expecting more seeing all of the amazing ratings. I don't know if it's because I'm not all that familiar with the genre combined with an odd English translation or not? Maybe hearing it, or watching the adaptation would help me with it?

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 
The Jasmine Throne (The Burning Kingdoms #1) by Tasha Suri was so good.  I have no idea why I've been putting this off for so long!  The world-building in novel is the highlight and I especially appreciated the political elements.  I don't read enough political fantasy novels, but this was great.  I also loved getting to know Malini and Priya.  They're great together and I can't wait to see them again.  I can't wait to read the sequel.  I have a feeling this series might become a favorite.

My review is also on Goodreads


 ❋ ❋ ❋ 
Ace: What Asexuality Reveals About Desire, Society, and the Meaning of Sex by Angela Chen is a book I should have read this back when it was new, but I'm glad I have now.  It's quite thought provoking and helps put a lot of things in perspective.  This is a real must read.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

I enjoy YA historical mysteries and The Boy in the Red Dress by Kristin Lambert was a fun one. It had me on the edge of my in the beginning but it does start to get bogged down a bit in the middle.  My favorite aspect was the setting of Prohibition era New Orleans, but I also enjoyed getting to know the diverse cast.  Overall, it's an impressive debut from Kristin Lambert and I hope we get more from this author in the future.  

My review is also on Goodreads and my Book Riot's 2024 Read Harder Challenge June Update.


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Branded by the Pink Triangle by Ken Setterington is well researched, brutal, and heartbreaking.  I definitely cried my eyes out.  This part of history cannot be forgotten.  Alongside reading this, I also highly recommend reading The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True Life-and-Death Story of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps by Heinz Heger.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 
The Lesbiana's Guide to Catholic School by Sonora Reyes is easily a new favorite YA contemporary and of the year so far.  I had heard so many great things about it and it totally lived up to the hype.  It was a perfect choice to read this for Pride Month.  By the way, the narrator of the audiobook, Karla Serrato, did a marvelous job bringing the story to life.  I will to read more from Sonora Reyes in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads and my Popsugar Reading Challenge Update #6.


 ❋ ❋  

Lost in the Never Woods by Aiden Thomas was one of my more anticipated reads of Book Riot's 2024 Read Harder Challenge.  I've really enjoyed all of the author's works and this one also sounded like it would be right up my alley.  Luckily, I can now say that this is a new contender for new favorite Peter Pan retelling!  I was hooked and I sped right through this.  While I enjoyed getting to know Wendy, I loved the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Michael and John as well as the truth behind Peter and Neverland.  If you're looking for a cool retelling, you'll have to try this.

My review is also on Goodreads and my Book Riot's 2024 Read Harder Challenge June Update.


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 
Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming is a must read memoir.  He's always been one of my favorites and I can't recommend this enough.  Plus, he narrates the audiobook himself.  I'm glad he was able to turn his rough life growing up in to something meaningful.

My review is also on Goodreads and my Popsugar Reading Challenge Update #6.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

This Winter (Solitaire #0.5) by Alice Oseman reminded me just how much I enjoy seeing Nick and Charlie.  That said, I really appreciated that this short got a POV chapter from Charlie's younger brother, Oliver

My review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books?  What did you read for Pride Month 2024?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Looks like it was a fantastic month overall! I would love to get to The Jasmine Throne at some point, and Not My Father's Son is calling to me😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you enjoyed The Lesbiana's Guide to Catholic School. It was my favorite read way back in 2022. I haven't read their sophomore novel yet, but I've heard good things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads