Skip to main content

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum #1) by Janet Evanovich - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Stephanie Plum needs money fast. Times are tough and she decides to turn to her cousin, Vinnie's bail bond company. She has no experience, equipment, training, or skills whatsoever, but that doesn't seem to matter as she's willing to take on anything that will line her pockets with some much needed cash. She takes on high stakes bail jumper Joe Morelli, a vice cop wanted for murder. Morelli is also her ex and she knows he means trouble.

I've heard so much about this series over the years, and quite a bit about it recently, especially the sense of humor. Finally, I decided to try the first novel out in audiobook form. I didn't really know what to expect from it, but I liked it more than I expected to and had some fun listening. Lori Petty did a fine job of bringing Evanovich's cast to life. Part of what makes the story funny is Stephanie's dumb luck that somehow helps pull her through some questionable and bad decisions. Seriously, some of the decisions she makes in this book make absolutely no sense to me. The first key questionable decision being: How does an out of work cheap lingerie buyer decide to become a bail bonds agent? Aside from needing money and having a family connection to that line of work, she has nothing going for herself that gives any impression that she is cut out for that work in any way. She's not dumb, but she is not at all clever. Whatever the case may be, she still manages to do decently at it and scrape by mainly by sheer dumb luck and watching her navigate this new landscape was pretty entertaining.

I'll probably be continuing this series in the future, but I'm not really in any hurry. Is it just me or does any one else think of Emma Swan from Once Upon A Time when they think of Stephanie Plum. They look nothing alike based on how Stephanie describes herself. Maybe it's that they're both bail bond agents...



I listened to this audiobook from December 17 - 18, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you reviewed this! I've been curious about this series for a long time too, bt there are so many books that it just seemed too big to tackle. I think I'll give it a try now, since you seemed to like it. I'll try the audio too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figure I'll eventually get around to the rest of it - and I'll probably stick to the audio myself. Thanks again for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I read this book years ago, like... 10 years ago, when I worked at a candle shop in my home town. (tourist town, the only employee, really boring, I was there alone 5 days a week) My boss/the owner had that book under the counter so I read it during my shift.
    It was a really good book. Funny, which is why I was really annoyed at the movie when it came out.

    I still haven't read any of the other books in the series, and it's been so long since Ive read this one that I think I'd have to start over if I decide to finish the series, there are so many books now I can't really skip any to catch up, might miss something important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie, but I've been told by others how different it is.

      Just about the case with any long series...

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Nice review. I love these books, and listening to them must be loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it more than I expected to and the production was really good on audio. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early