Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Book Haul


Happy Sunday everyone!  It was almost a month ago that I posted a book haul update, so I thought I would catch you up on the most recent additions to my collection since then.  These wouldn't be possible without gift cards, memberships, and the library!

A couple of weeks ago I stopped by Barnes and Noble armed with a gift card or two, coupons, and a membership.  I think I walked out of that store with the best deal - I left with three new hardbacks that I had been interested in which were each inexplicably 60% off for members!  The really interesting thing - I also saw copies of these on the regular shelves that weren't on sale.


A Passage to Shambhala (The Explorers Guild #1) by Kevin Costner and Jon Baird, Illustrated by Rick Ross - Released October 20, 2015


Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong - Released October 6, 2015



The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson - Released September 15, 2015

Using gift cards that I had won in the past for Amazon, I picked up a few titles that I've been looking forward to as well.


The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan - I've heard it's good for fans of Supernatural or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so obviously I'm interested.


The Mime Order (The Bone Season #2) by Samantha Shannon - I loved the first book in this series and I'm excited to get to the next novel.


Nevermore (Cal Leandros #10) by Rob Thurman - This is the newest installment of one of my favorite urban fantasy series.  I still need to read the ninth in the series, but this way I'll have two to read back-to-back.


Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen - This author's newest release happened to be on sale for the January sale at my favorite local bookstore.  When I paid, the owner was very surprised to see that she had placed it on the sale cart!  Contemporary isn't my go-to genre, but I have liked what Dessen I've read in the past.

I'd say I've had a pretty good Christmas/ New Year's in books.  Since those were purchased with Christmas money and gift cards - I had quite a haul.




A coworker and I will sometimes swap books - usually historical fiction.  She's recently let me borrow From Dust and Ashes (World War II Liberators #1) by Tricia Goyer and Year of Impossible Goodbyes (Year of Impossible Goodbyes #1) by Sook Nyul Choi.  Earlier we had both read Night Song, the second in Goyer's series, and it was fantastic, so I'm looking forward to reading another installment of the series.  As for Choi's young adult historical fiction, she gave it high praise and noted that it's partially autobiographical.  I'll be interested in getting around to this story about a lesser known part of World War II's history.

Now,  I almost always have a little something on my library hold list.  Of course, this past Friday most of them came in at once.  I was a little surprised since some arrived so early because there was a bit of a wait list for them the last I had checked.



Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson - Since I read Nimona, I've absolutely needed to get my hands on more of her work.  Now my chance has come!


Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan, Illustrated by Fiona Staples - I've been told time and time again how amazing this is - it's time to check it out for myself!




I also received Volumes 18, 19, and 20 of The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman.  I enjoy both the comic books and the tv adaptation (I've just recently completed season five!), and since these volumes go so quickly it's nice to have a few of them at once.


I also picked up some music and a movie - I was introduced to Little Green Cars by Brigid @ Brigid Writes Things during my weekly meme Music Monday.  I enjoyed what she shared enough that I wanted to listen to their first album, Absolute Zero.  I've been listening to it and I'm liking this Irish indie rock band's sound.


I also got What We Did On Our Holiday (2014) starring David Tennant, Rosamund Pike, and Billy Connolly.  I was hoping it was going to be released in theaters in the US, but unfortunately it wasn't.  The movie looks like it will be a lot of fun - and the cast looks top-notch.  You can watch the trailer here.


So, have you read, listened to, or watched any of these?  Do you have any recommendations for which I should read first?  All comments are appreciated and I will try to respond to each and every one!

Comments

  1. I've been eyeing the Explorers Guild and the Demon's Lexicon for some time now, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of them. Also, I loved the Mime Order (I thought it was even better than Bone Season, which I loved as well) and I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy them, Sam. I'm especially excited to read The Mime Order now! :)

      Delete
  2. Great Post :) I have been meaning to read The Bone Season for sometime and I still haven't yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover of the first one is so pretty!

    You'll have to tell me what you think of Saint Anything, it looks quite interesting.

    What We Did On Our Holidays is so good! I went o see it (2014) not expecting great things but I really really loved it. Andy Hamilton (the director) is just great and obviously I love David Tennant. And it has some beautiful shots of the Highlands. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is!

      I'll have to - I don't normally read that author, but what I have I've liked.

      The movie was great - makes me want to see more by that director. The scenery is breathtaking, and of course, David Tennant is one of my favorites! :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Emily!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early