Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Vicious by V.E. Schwab


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my current read, Vicious by V.E. Schwab.  I've been super excited to read this ever since I finished A Darker Shade of Magic, but for some strange reason I kept putting it off.  I'm finally diving in and am realizing I can't stop!  I'd say this sums up my feelings so far pretty well:


Book Beginning: 

Last Night 

Merit Cemetery

Victor readjusted the shovels on his shoulder and stepped gingerly over an old, half-sunken grave.  His trench billowed faintly, brushing the tops of the tombstones as he made his way through Merit Cemetery, humming as he went.  The sound carried like wind through the dark.

56:

Victor made his way into the suite's kitchen, separated from the rest of the main room by only a marble counter, and poured a drink from the stash of liquor he and Mitch had been assembling since departing Wrighton, and which Mitch had brought up from the car.  The girl was lying and he knew it, but he resisted the urge to resort to his usual methods.  She was a kid, and clearly scared.  And she'd been hurt enough already.

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren,

    Despite loving the cover, your opening lines and even to some degree, the synopsis, I don't really think this is a book for me. Although I guess that if I were privy to the opening lines only to make my decision, I would definitely have to keep reading :)

    There have been some excellent ratings and reviews for this book, so I hope that you are enjoying it.

    Have a great weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Yvonne. The opening lines have a really great hook, don't they. :)

      Delete
  2. It has been a long time since I read Vicious and it's one of my favorite books by V.E. Schwab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow her on twitter with great delight and have yet to finish one of her books. I keep picking them up but then I get distracted by something else. Maybe I need to read a bit further to really get gripped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're finding this one super addictive! I've heard lots of positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh you are making me want to read some V.E. Schwab! I actually haven't read anything by her (I know, I know), but I really want to! 2016 will be the year I at least read one of her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy her work! I still need to try The Archivist - that sounds really cool! Thanks for visiting, Genni!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this book or author but I'm really intrigued by the beginning and the 56 - I'll definitely be adding this to my list. Here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you'll get around to her work! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. I've been noticing the author's books, as the covers are a little strange, LOL. But they do draw me in, so I guess it works.

    Thanks for sharing, and I'm curious about the excerpts, and wonder what is going on. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those covers are some of the coolest! :) Thanks for stopping by mine, too. :)

      Delete
  8. This one is on my wishlist but I wasn't sure about it, sounds like it's a good one. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I KNOW I want to read this, very nice!! V>E>Schwab is new to me author.
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/friday-56_15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll enjoy her work! :) Happy reading and thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. I've heard so many good things about V.E. Schwab's books, I'm really going to have to give them a try! This one sounds really good too. I love the opening! Thanks for visiting my Friday post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting mine, too! She's really reeled me in!

      Delete
  11. Dark, mysterious and exciting. Yup, I'd read more!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah! I want to read this one so bad. I may wait until after Gathering of Shadows, just so I'm sure I'll have a V.E. Schwab book waiting for me afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't wait! :) Have you tried The Archivist series?

      Delete
  13. I think I'm going to have to definitely check out this author. I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to know what you think of her work! Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  14. I don't think I've ever read anything by this author. I am curious about the book and will have to check it out. My book this week is Unholy Blue by Darby Kaye. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got this one and now I'm thinking it's time to read it!

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/01/15/the-friday-56-92-dead-things/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you're right! :) Thanks for sharing, Laura!

      Delete
  16. I think I am seeing this book everywhere so it must also be popular as well as good. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - it's very good. Thanks for visiting mine, as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early