Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Harrison Squared by Daryl Gregory


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting a book a won a few months ago called Harrison Squared by Daryl Gregory that I've just started.  I don't know why I've put it off for so long because it sounds like pretty awesome horror fantasy.

Book Beginning:

What I remember are tentacles.  Tentacles and teeth.

I know that those memories aren't real.  I was only three when my father died, too young to understand what was happening.  So later I filled in the gaps with snippets from monster movies and nature documentaries, with half-forgotten visits to dim aquariums, with illustrations from my mother's grad-school textbooks.

This is how the brain works.  It makes up stories out of whatever odds and ends it finds.  Sometimes they're scary stories.

56:

We waited, silently, for two minutes, three.  Then a group of boys nearest me stepped back from the edge.

Something moved under the water.

I stood up and stifled a yelp.  The pale shape coursed toward the edge of the pool at tremendous speed.  At the last moment, the water broke, and the creature threw itself onto the deck.  It slid a few feet, then threw out its arms and rose up on its belly like a walrus.

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this book before, but it looks so good! Kinda creepy, but in a good way :) Great post!
    ~Victoria @ Addlepates and Book Nerds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Victoria! It's starting off very promising. :)

      Delete
  2. Really creepy sounding. I probably couldn't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one. Interesting snippet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's definitely interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, scary! And something I'd probably love! Added it to my huge list of books I'd like to read someday ;)

    http://juliesreadingroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tentacles and teeth! That's definitely something you'd remember if you encountered them!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horror fantasy? That sounds like something I'd really enjoy and I love the snippet. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been curious about this one, so hope you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me with horror, but the snippets helped seal the deal... lol. Happy new year and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me a little of The Lightning Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds scary!!

    Tentacles and teeth would scare me away.

    Happy New Year and Happy Reading!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the New Year is treating you well. :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Very intriguing, though, that's for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early