Skip to main content

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix - Review


❋ ❋ ❋  

Three Orsk furniture superstore employees, Basil, Amy, and Ruth-Anne, agree to work a dusk til dawn shift in order to catch the perpetrator of the strange occurrences that have been happening at their store and ruining stock and vandalizing property. During their all-nighter, they'll encounter horrors they never would have expected.

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix is a fantastic horror comedy novel which is designed to resemble an IKEA catalog. It's a little slow to start, but I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Now, aside from being a librarian, I also work in a retail environment and you can see some really crazy things on a regular basis. Plus, you meet all sorts of people that otherwise you would probably never meet. That being said I could relate to this IKEA knock-off superstore's employees. Seriously, the cast of characters seem very real - I know people that are quite similar to those taking center stage here. Hendrix succeeds at creepy, and sometimes gory, horror as he is at creating characters and comedy. I don't want to spoil too much of it, but have you ever visited the "Squirrel Cage" Jail Museum in Council Bluffs, Iowa? In other words, it's really creepy, especially considering the huge empty store setting.


Overall, I highly recommend Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix, especially if you enjoy horror with a side of humor. If you're a fan of American Horror Story, I expect you'll love this novel. I'm really looking forward to his newest novel, My Best Friend's Exorcism, and I'm interested in seeing what becomes of the forth-coming Horrorstör tv adaptation.


I read this novel from May 17 - 24, 2016 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I definitely need to read this. What is the tone like? It sounds like it's partly comedic, but wow, if it's like AHS, it has to have a huge dark side. Thanks for sharing this title, I can honestly say I had no clue of its existence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tone starts off pretty funny, almost parody, but the further you get into it the darker and creepier it gets. It's quite weird, but I'd say it definitely fits in with the likes of American Horror Story. I'd love to hear what you think of it!

      Delete
  2. I've seen this one floating around but I haven't picked it up even though it sounds fantastic! Great review; I'll definitely be finding a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw so many Booktubers obsessing about it, but I forgot to get my hands on a copy. It seems perfect for Halloween reading :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be perfect for Halloween! Thanks for visiting my blog, Sierra!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic review! I want to read this one. Oh, and his new one too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early