Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The May Queen Murders by Sarah Jude


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads,  The May Queen Murders by Sarah Jude.  I've just read the prologue so far, and I'm enjoying it so far.  I've seen quite a few mixed reviews on this novel, praising the concept but not so thrilled by the overall execution.  

Beginning: 

Kerosene slopped from the rusty pail and splashed against the abandoned stable.  Fumes burned my eyes but didn't blur my father's silhouette as he faced the building, bucket in hand.  It would burn and, with it the body inside.

56:

My hands slapped against his abdomen and knocked him backwards, but he regained his balance.  It made me want to throw my weight into him again.  I lunged for him.  He caught my wrists and we twisted together, me trying to strike him and him deflecting me  no matter how rabid I was.  

"Stop!" he ordered.  "You're gonna get hurt!"

"I'm already hurt!"

Comments

  1. I always like what you share. This looks amazing, thanks. Here's my Friday Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one when I read it. I hope you do too. I am featuring Soldier by Julie Kagawa this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, very intense and exciting, and now I want to know more. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “SWEETBITTER”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intense and like a book I'd want to keep reading in order to find out what happens next. I haven't heard of this one but I definitely want to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good so far, but it's not quite as surprise twisty as I was hoping for.

      Delete
  5. This one seems like it could be good. Enjoy the book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grabbed this not too long ago. Couldn't resist the title and cover. Hopefully I'll find time to start it soon.

    My Friday 56 from Ink and Bone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Laura, and thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. Great description in both the opening and the 56 excerpt. Sounds like an action filled story.
    My Friday post features THE LITTLE FRENCH GUESTHOUSE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pulled me right in!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snippets really make you want to know what's going on, don't they!

      Delete
  9. This one looks really good and I've seen it around quite a bit. I'll have to check it out. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this on my TBR, but like you, I've heard mixed things. I do like the excerpt though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is on my list to read. Sounds good and the cover drawed me to it. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The little excerpts are both great! I might have to check it out because it's possible the execution simply didn't work for everyone. Worth a shot at least :)
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth looking into, Anna! :)

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for visiting my blog; this book beginning caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo... I added this to my TBR list on goodreads :) I'm a sucker for mystery/thriller/dark books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds very interesting! I want to know what the fighting is all about! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes you wonder, huh! :)

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early