Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Sleeping Giants (Themis Files #1) by Sylvain Neuvel


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my next read, Sleeping Giants (Themis Files #1) by Sylvain Neuvel.  I'm so excited to be getting to this new sci-fi release - I happened to be one of the first at the library to get my hands on it!  Based on the summary and what little I've heard of it, I can't help but think of one of my favorite animated movies The Iron Giant.  



Beginning:

PROLOGUE

It was my eleventh birthday.  I'd gotten a new bike from my father: white and pink, with tassels on the handles.  I really wanted to ride it, but my parents didn't want me to leave while my friends were there.  They weren't really my friends though.  I was never really good at making friends.  I liked reading; I liked walking in the woods; I liked being alone.  And I always felt a little out of place with other kids my age.

56:

[File No. 033]

Nearby resident Clarissa Parlow and Lehman was well liked by his neighbors.  "He had a quiet way about him.  He seemed shy, more than anything.  I guess you just never know about people."

Comments

  1. That gif makes me want to re-watch Iron Giant. I haven't seen it in years.
    In the BB, that kid sounds how I am with people. I hope you're enjoying it.

    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, it has been such a long time since I've seen anything about Iron Giant. Thanks for sharing about the book. I haven't heard of it before, but if its anything like Iron Giant, then it seems like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I am in intrigued. This sounds fantastic and I now want to watch The Iron Giant, which I haven't watch since I was child.

    Feel free to pop over and check out my Friday56

    Shubba @ Wee Shubba's World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My babysitter when I was a little kid used to have it on vhs and we watched it all the time. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! The Iron Giant was so long ago, but unforgettable. This sounds amazing, and I agree with Marie - the child sounds a lot like me.

    Here's my Friday read - Daisy in Chains by Sharon Bolton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title caught me right off. I do like a little scifi now and then. Hope you enjoy it!
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds good. My YA book this week is The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I've got this one waiting for me as well! And the Iron Giant is like the best and saddest film at the same time. Thanks for inspiring me to finally start Sleeping Giant. Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually read Sci-Fi books, but I am drawn into this story because of the excerpts; I could relate to that kid, having been kind of like that when I was younger. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm quite intrigued and generally I don't care much for sci-fi. Sounds good though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I like the narrator. She sounds very relatable. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. It's very god so far - and she sounds like me. :)

      Delete
  11. I felt that way when I was a kid too. Kind of preferred to be by myself and I loved to read, of course! Sounds like a good book! Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt that way when I was a kid too. Kind of preferred to be by myself and I loved to read, of course! Sounds like a good book! Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard good things about this one. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet I'd enjoy this too. I adore Iron Giant. My mother and I watch the movie at least once a year. Hogarth is such a boy!LOL

    My Friday 56 from Lady Renegades

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover for Sleeping Giants! Very simple, very sleek. I definitely need to read more scifi. Let us know how you liked the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that it has a cool design under the book jacket, too, but I can't take it off since it's from the library. I'm liking it so far! Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge