Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Weekend Update & Ready Player One (2018)


Happy Sunday everyone!  And, if you celebrate it, Happy Easter!  Today is a good day to spend some time with your family and get some reading in.  Unfortunately, I'll be working (yes, I'm coming to you from the past - Saturday afternoon - enjoying what time I have to myself), but don't let that stop you from having some Easter fun.  Either way, I should be able to get in a bit of reading so the day won't be a total disappointment.


Anyway, this week has been an interesting one for sure.  In the last week, aside from reading, I've got some great watching in, too.  I completed the miniseries (now renewed for a second season) of Big Little Lies shortly after having completed the novel on audiobook.  I liked the book more than I expected to and the show was a decent adaptation.  They streamlined a few plot points which actually made more sense for the tv format, particularly the Saxon Banks storyline and exactly how he's tied to Jane.  Overall, though, I think my main question is why it was shifted from Australia to Monterey, CA.  The scenery is beautiful, but the shift in setting certainly shifted some dynamics.  I also got to watch "Scoobynatural", the Scooby-Doo/ Supernatural crossover, which was absolutely awesome.  Both of those shows are some of my all time favorites and it delivered 100%.  I didn't know how much I needed the trio of Cas, Scooby, and Shaggy.  I loved that Sam, Dean, and Cas were inserted into an already existing classic episode of the cartoon - and I loved seeing how with their addition that episode begins to change.  If you haven't had the chance to watch that episode, I can't recommend it enough even if you haven't been keeping up on the show.  I'd say it and "Wayward Sisters" are the best episodes of the season so far!

This past Thursday I also had the opportunity to see one of my most highly anticipated movies of the year, Ready Player One.  I absolutely adored the book by Ernest Cline and although I was nervous I couldn't wait to see how the adaptation would turn out.  To my delight it totally delivered!  Read on to see my thoughts:


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Ready Player One,  both the book and the new movie adaptation, is so much fun.  I couldn't help but smile my way through it.  I can already say right now that I can see many repeat viewings in my future.  Steven Spielberg does a fantastic job adapting the source material and creating a new classic movie that I'm sure will attract younger viewers to classics.  The actors do a wonderful job of bringing the High Five to life and it's great to see everyone realized on the big screen.  As expected the visuals are stunning and so slick, and the soundtrack uses so many classics to great effect.  Just like in the novel, there are a ton of easter eggs and cameos, I know it's going to be fun seeing this movie again to see how many more I can spot.  Some that I really enjoyed include the 1960s Batmobile, the van from The A-Team, the evil car from Christine, the Holy Hand Grenade from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I really wish Parzival had to speak the devotion and count to three, though), Betelgeuse from Beetlejuice, and Chucky from Child's Play - just to name a few!  I also really got a kick out of hearing Columbus, Ohio up on the big screen (even though it wasn't made in my home state) - did anyone else catch the LeVeque Tower on the city skyline? Finally, as a book to movie adaptation, Ready Player One changes some things around and bump some things up.  There are quite a few changes actually, particularly with the egg hunt challenges - in the book, for example, they have to play out WarGames, but in the adaptation they do The Shining.  That sequence might have been one of my favorite scenes actually.  Even though there are so many changes, the film still manages to feel true to the source material tonally.  Overall, Ready Player One is a fun, visually stunning movie to experience on the big screen.  I highly recommend seeing it, even if you haven't already read the book.  Personally, I can't wait to see it again!

Next Up:




Avengers: Infinity War (April 27th) - Of course, this is one of my most highly anticipated movies of the year.  I can't wait to see what happens as it's been building for so long, but I'm so nervous!



Bad Samaritan (May 4th) - A thriller with David Tennant and Robert Sheehan?  Count me in!  I'll definitely be rooting for David Tennant's villain!


Deadpool 2 (May 18th) - I loved the first movie a lot more than I expected too, so of course I'm going to see the sequel!

Happy weekend everyone!  What movies have you seen lately?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I'm as excited about the new movies releasing as I am for some books. It's looking to be an exciting year!

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ready Player One ahhhh, I'm so glad it's so good! I tried reading this, but couldn't quite get into it, so I wasn't sure about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bit different from each other, but Spielberg really pulls it off. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Ready Player One. I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it since I loved the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you love it, Suzanne. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

      Delete
  4. I may try to make time today to see RPO, I'm so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really curious to see where they go with Little Big Lies, since the mini-series covered the plot of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Easter, Lauren! :)) I'm so glad you loved the Ready Player One movie--awesome adaptations of favorite books are the best. And I can't wait to see Deadpool 2 as well--the first movie was so fun!

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aimee! It was pretty fantastic! I hope Deadpool 2 turns out to be just as fun as the first one. :)

      Delete
  7. I absolutely ADORED Scoobynatural, that was sooo Dean's episode. Haha!

    I didn't know that Deadpool 2 came out in May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! :D

      For some reason I thought it was coming much later in the summer.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, thanks for giving such a detailed opinion on the Ready Player One movie! I really loved the book, despite being too young to fully comprehend all the references, and I'm really curious to see how they translated everything in movie form. I'm also really looking forward to the new Avengers movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you liked the Ready Player One movie. Now I'm even more excited to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I've Read For Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge