Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads that will fulfill the true crime task for Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder ChallengeThe Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson.  This nonfiction book has been recommended so many times, both by friends and on the job.  It easily one of the most popular nonfiction books (that isn't about WWII) that we can't keep on our shelves at the library, so I'm excited to try it for myself!  By the way, the gif below is from the Supernatural season two episode called "No Exit" which featured H.H. Holmes - it seemed appropriate!



Beginning: 

The date was April 14, 1912, a sinister day in maritime history, but of course the man in suite 63-55, shelter deck C, did not yet know it.

56:

The delay was maddening, absurd, the hourglass long ago upended.

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Short Story



Favorite - Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman - Gaiman is one of my favorite author's and I love his short stories.  This collection was one of my favorite reads of 2017.



Least Favorite - Futura by Jordan Phillips - Technically, this is a novella but I'm still counting it here.  I liked the concept, but I think I would have preferred the story as a dystopian from the perspective of the Basics and the Holdouts rather than from Ruby's utopian view.


Have you ever read any of these stories before?  What are you reading this weekend?  As always, thanks very much for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Woah, I LOVE that quote from the Devil in the White City! It's such a short, simple sentence but is written beautifully!

    Here's my Friday 56: https://taytalksbooks.wordpress.com/2018/04/13/the-friday-56-starry-eyes-by-jenn-bennett/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Devil in the White City seems like a book I might like. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, another read I just have to have! lol The Devil in the White City! Adding it now. Thank you!

    Here is my Friday56 and Book Beginning : http://bit.ly/2GUwWUY

    Enjoy your weekend! It starts here... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope you like it when you get there. :)

      Thanks - I hope you have a good one too, Sassy!

      Delete
  4. I've heard of Devil in the White City, it got a lot of praise. I might read it one day.

    I adore Gaiman. I have yet to read Norse Mythology but at least I own a copy so I can start it anytime I want (= once I won't have this many other books on my list). Have a nice weekend, Lauren!

    My Friday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the style it's written in for sure.

      The audiobook production on Norse Mythology is fantastic - Gaiman even narrates it. :)

      Have a good one, Ronnie!

      Delete
  5. I've been curious about Erik Larson's books...I am a fan of Scandinavian authors because my grandparents and their grandparents came from Sweden, and one of the great-grandfathers was named Erik...and my grandfather's surname was Larson. Just a tidbit. LOL

    Here's mine: “MRS.: A NOVEL”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great-grandmother was from Sweden too. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. Sounds interesting. This week I am featuring Burn Bright by Patricia Briggs - a new one by a favorite author. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try Patricia Briggs some time. Thanks for sharing, Kathy!

      Delete
  7. The Devil in the White City is one of my favorite nonfiction books. It has all the elements of fiction--a compelling plot, fascinating characters, etc.-- and yet it's true! Another favorite by this author is Isaac's Storm. Thanks for reminding me of Larson's books.
    My Friday post features Mrs. Polifax Mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm enjoying it so far! :)

      Thanks for sharing, Sandra.

      Delete
  8. I remember really liking THE DEVIL IN THE WHiTE CIty but I don't recall the quotes you shared and what they were referring to. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Anne. :)

      Thanks for sharing with me.

      Delete
  9. I loved the Larson book when I read it a few years ago. He's such a talented author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very intriguing!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your 50/50 post for this week. I hadn't thought about adding an anthology/collection of short stories to my post!!

    I do have Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology in my collection though and hope to read it later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much easier for me to think of them that way.

      I hope you like Norse Mythology.

      Delete
  12. I wish I was more into nonfiction. Hope this one works out for you. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fascinating. I hope you had a good weekend. :)

      Delete
  13. Devil in the White City is completely new to me! I am really intrigued to give it a try. The concept is exciting and I love the time period. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished it now and it was fascinating. I hope you get the chance to try it! :)

      Delete
  14. Great quotes. I always wanted to read something by Eric Larson, but never got around to do it. He should be good, so I have to try a book soon.
    I loved Norse Mythology as well (my first Gaiman) and had it as a book beginning here https://thecontentreader.blogspot.be/2017/02/rose-city-reader-is-hosting-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read that and really liked it. But I liked the parts about Daniel Burnham & the World Fair better than the true crime parts, which were a little grisly for me. I grew up in Chicago & it was interesting to see how parts of it came about.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that Larson was able to do both aspects so well.

      Delete
  16. I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Gaiman a couple years ago and liked it (even though I irrationally can't stand magical realism) so I've been hoping to read more of his work soon. Thanks for linking up, Lauren, and I hope you love Devil in the White City!!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaiman is one of my favorites and I love his brand. :)

      Delete
  17. The Devil In The White City sounds like a very fascinating book. Hope you enjoy! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still need to read Norse Mythology! Everyone keeps saying how freaking amazing it is!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early