Skip to main content

Mini Reviews: Long Way Down, Dear Martin, The Great American Whatever, & Thirteen Reasons Why


Happy Saturday everyone!  Today I'm sharing mini reviews of recent YA Contemporary audiobooks I've have the opportunity to listen to - Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds, Dear Martin by Nic Stone, The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle, & Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.  Read on to see my thoughts:


❋ ❋ ❋  

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds just might be one of the most raw, intense, and emotional novels in verse that I've ever read. I listened to the story set during an elevator ride on audio which is narrated expertly by the author himself. If you have the opportunity to try this story, I can't recommend it enough in this format, especially if you enjoyed The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.

I listened to this audiobook on February 17, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋  

Dear Martin by Nic Stone is an absolute must-read. It's just one of the novels where you want to put a copy in everyone's hands. It's a short read (or listen, if you check out the audiobook like I did), but it sure packs quite a punch. It's feels all too raw and real and isn't an easy story but it's a necessary story. Justyce is a great character that one can really feel for, and his letters to Martin Luther King, Jr. are the most fascinating part of the story. Overall, this timely #BLM story is thought-full and well-executed, plus the audiobook production is absolutely fantastic. If you like The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds, you need to try Dear Martin by Nic Stone.

I listened to this audiobook on February 18 - 19, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

Quinn lost his sister months ago, and now his friend has decided to help him get back out there in the world, work through his grief, and find him his first real boyfriend. The dialogue of The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle feels quite natural, and also very sarcastic. My favorite aspect of this story has to be Quinn's love of classic movies. I also really liked Geoff, Quinn's friend who is trying to help him. This novel also does a good job at making you feel a variety of emotions for our cast while still be incredibly relatable. By the way, the author also narrates the audiobook and he does a brilliant job of bringing his characters to life. The narration and audio production certainly earns a star all on its own. This novel is definitely worth trying if you like John Green, David Levithan, Rainbow Rowell, or John Corey Whaley.

I listened to this audiobook from March 26 - 27, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ 

If you haven't been living under a rock for the last decade, chances are you've heard something about Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It's an incredibly controversial story for a few reasons, but I'm not going into that aspect here except to say that I spent a good deal of time mad while listening to this on audiobook. I have to say though that Asher is a decent storyteller to make me have such a strong reaction to Hannah and Clay. The story deals with tough subjects and it's a lot to deal with and work through while you're reading. I would have been a teen back when this novel was originally released and I think I would have liked someone I trusted to help me work my way through it like a parent or a teacher. Finally I just want to recommend the production of this on audiobook. The production is pretty clever and well made - regardless of my opinions on the subject matter.


I listened to this audiobook from March 27 - 29, 2018 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Have you read any of these books yet?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to read Thirteen Reasons Why but sadly it hasn't happened yet. I'd like to know how the author presents the 'tough subjects' you mentioned. One is obviously suicide, that brings a whole baggage with it. I will read this one someday I really will.

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reviews! I read 13 Reasons Why and didn’t like it. Maybe it would have been better as an audiobook. I just got Dear Martin, so hopefully I get to read it soon. Long Way Down is on my TBR list. It sounds intense. I’m looking forward to it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. Fingers crossed you'll like those two.

      Delete
  3. Long Way Down and Dear Martin have been on my list for a while, super excited to see you gave them both 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like them, Tammy.

      Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  4. I watched the Thirteen Reasons Why TV series and didn't like it all that much, so I'll probably pass on the book. The overall voice just doesn't sound like it's for me. I've heard a lot of great things about Dear Martin, though, so I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! :)

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I blame you. I definitely plan on trying the tv show - we'll see what I think.

      Delete
  5. I thought Long Way Down was incredible. When I found out Reynolds narrated the audiobook, I regretted reading the ebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to try it out on audiobook maybe if you reread. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't read anything by Jason Reynolds, Long Way Down will probably be my first. Glad to see Dear Martin was a good read for you too. I think that one deserves more attention. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely like to know what you think of his work - I'll have to try more of his as well. :)

      Thanks, Alicia!

      Delete
  7. I'm really hoping to get to Dear Martin soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opiion, I was too young to read Thirteen Reasons Why when I did. I'm pretty sure I was thirteen or fourteen at the time, and I didn't fully comprehend the material or see its flaws. I did watch the TV show last year (I'm 18 now), and there were a couple things I took issue with. I'm not sure if I even want to reread the book, but I do think I would have a very different opinion in comparison to my 13 year old self!

    I haven't read THUG, Dear Martin, or Long Way Down yet!! UGH. I need to get on it! I'm hoping to get to at least one of them this summer after school gets out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly wonder what I would have thought if I read this when it was released - back when I actually would have been in high school.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early